Thread: TENS units
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 03:14 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'll be interested to see how this thread progresses and how many people find the TENS helps...

I've actually got a unit from when I was pregnant, but I've been scared to try it on the CRPS. I've heard more negatives than positives, and I've read some research that doubts why on earth it would help CRPS given that it's action is to stimulate the nerves in the area - surely the LAST thing you would want in an area of your body already over-reacting to stimuli, and sending repeat pain signals to an area of your brain where that is over-reacting too! My physio (who has been very knowkedgeable about CRPS) was dead against it.

On the other hand, obviously some have had a good experience with it, so maybe it depends on the type of CRPS sensations you have, and how your brain reacts to the increased stimuli? I do get the impression it's a risk, and has the potential to make things worse.

I know the controversial Calmare treatment was found to be basically a TENS machine that pulsed more randomly.

Good thread!

Bram.

Coeliac since 2007.
Patella femoral arthritis both knees.

Keep smiling!
Brambledog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote