View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 03:54 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Acetyl-L-carnitine New Risks

Has anyone known Acetyl-L-carnitine to cause Hypothyroidism?

Acetyl-L-carnitine has recently been more scrutinized with a link between it and Hypothyroidism. I've seen several articles about concerns it might aggravate Hypothyroidism or even cause it (which is what I'm afraid of). It seems to help a lot of people, now- including me.

Since I have been taking it, just over a month now, at what some consider a low dose (300mg) ...(Is that a low dose?) I have felt a dramatic reduction in pn pains. Though I still have the pins & needles pains very often, most of the other types of deep cramps, stabbing, or burning have been reduced considerably.

In accordance, it also seems to help people with certain cognitive disorders, some of which I have had for years.

However, Acetyl-L-carnitine is now being linked with Urinary Track Infections and most notable metabolic hypothyroidism.

Because of this, I'm thinking of dropping it off my supplements list, which I really don't want to do, because I feel it has genuinely helped me, not only with nerve pains, but also in other health issues I have such as COPD and OCD.

Ironically, Hypothyroidism is also a condition that can cause Neuropathy itself, so here is another reason to shed light on this concern.

My question is -- has anyone known Acetyl-L-carnitine to cause Hypothyroidism or any other detrimental health risks???
Jesse M is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote