View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 08:51 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Well, that is great that you are better.

If you eat calcium containing foods, you might drop that calcium supplement. Taking Vit D may be a conflict. Some cardiologists now suggest dropping calcium (esp for women in new studies), as the D increases GI absorption quite a bit.

100mg of Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is a huge dose! As we age this drug has anti-cholinergic effects, that are not good for your eyes, or cognition. 25mg at bedtime should be enough for most people.

Google "risk of hypercalcemia with Vit D" and see what you find.
Your dose of 4800 IU is not really that high, IMO.

It might be that your calf pain, will permanently resolve with proper levels higher for a while. Really Vit D levels take months to resolve IMO. It is not a fast acting supplement.

I'll try to look around the net for you about "high" and what is really high etc when it comes to D.
The Vitamin Council and Grassroots.net seem to have the newest research:
http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/
http://www.grassrootshealth.net/

These two sources have alot of research that they report.
Dropping Calcium: Dr. Lee, author of "What your doctor never told you about menopause" would agree with you. He says people generally get enough in thier diets, not getting enough is rare. The problem is unbalanced hormones after menopause and the way the bone stops doing what it's supposed to with the (in his opinion) plenty of calcium available is the real problem. He suggest supplementation with progesterone cream rather than calcium supplements.

Vitamin D level- I figure you are right, will google. Also had the thought that maybe when the level gets high enough, and then I drop it back, it will resolve until the level drops below what calf is happy with again.

I can't get to sleep without that benedryl - but feel like mind is foggy - I'm going to see a bioidentical doc to see if I can get my hormones further balanced - Dr. Yu is a personal friend and won't treat me. Have apt. coming up. If I can resolve this that way, then no more need for all that Benedryl. If not, I guess I could ask my bp doc for something - just hate to take more of anything, really.

I actual thought that the neurologist might say something bout that Benedryl - cause he asked me once exactly how much I was taking. He didn't, but he said, maybe try to drop some of my huge list of vitamins and supplements over time, one at a time, to get it down to what I need. I can drop the Calcium. The stuff I got from here cannot be dropped. Problem is, I have PN, a good dose of menopause misery AND knee arthritis and Im trying to avoid taking you know, more drugs... like Celebrex, recommended by both orthopedic doc AND neurologist!

It makes me feel like a healthier person when I can take a vitamin and nerve pain drops away, arthritic pain drops away, rather than a prescription drug. It is very emotionally satisfying and makes me feel young, not old.

Thank you again so much Mrs. D. for all of your generous help.
KarenEVP is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (06-14-2013)