View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 11:30 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED View Post
Can anyone suggest anything?
ED
Hi Ed. I don't want to sound hash or that I don't understand, but I agree with Mark, and as I mentioned on one of your other posts, self-blame and self-pity are not productive responses to trauma. So in a direct answer to your question above, here are some suggestions based on things that have worked for me.

You didn’t say what kind of medical care or therapies you are receiving, other than you were looking for a new neurologist. Also consider a Neuropsychological Assessment from a clinical neuropsychologist. NPA testing can help identify specific deficit areas, and recommend appropriate therapies. For me this included speech, occupational and physical therapies. If depression is one of these deficits perhaps therapy such as Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and/or medication may be helpful.

Look for a brain injury support group. Check http://www.biausa.org/ for resources in your state.

Other things that have helped me include:

Yoga. I joined a studio that incorporates meditative practice along with gentle stretching postures.

Mindfulness meditation. I found a continuing education class in meditation at a local community college.

Massage therapy. Helped with my muscle spasms and assists in relaxation and alleviating anxiety.

Essentially, we need to be accountable for driving our own recovery. The support groups can help with this. Wishing you well in your recovery journey.

What Happened: On November 29, 2010, I was walking across the street and was hit by a light rail commuter train. Result was a severe traumatic brain injury and multiple fractures (skull, pelvis, ribs). Total hospital stay was two months, one in ICU followed by an additional month in neuro-rehab. Upon hospital discharge, neurological testing revealed deficits in short term memory, executive functioning, and spatial recognition.

Today: Neuropsychological examination five months post-accident indicated a return to normal cognitive functioning, and I returned to work approximately 6 months after the accident. I am grateful to be alive and am looking forward to enjoying the rest of my life.
Lightrail11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ED (07-21-2013)