Old 06-14-2013, 02:36 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Sally,

I am glad you posted an update

Quote:
I'm wondering if anyone else thinks that a five-day course of Solu Medrol is a bit excessive for a 10 year old child with an undiagnosed neurological condition who seems to be getting well on his own?
For what it's worth, I agree with your decision. I would also question why high dose IVSM needs to be used on a child who is improving on his own.

Quote:
he had a fit and told her that I was making a big mistake, "What if he has another episode of leg weakness in 4 or 5 weeks, does your mother want him to end up in a wheelchair or in the hospital again?" and so forth.
This sounds like a scare tactic

If your son is dealing with MS steroids do not change the course of the disease, they might shorten a relapse. Steroids will not prevent another relapse from happening.

Quote:
my son started complaining of back pain, a sharp pain between the shoulder blades, weakness in his legs, then fell asleep for four hours. He was pale and he looked ill.
I am sorry, Sally It sounds like he was already experiencing some of the side effects that can come with using steroids

Don't get me wrong, steroids can be necessary and needed depending on the circumstances but your son was improving on his own.

Quote:
As I said it my previous post, I will be taking my son to a pediatric neurologist next month for a second opinion.
Hopefully a Pediatric Neurologist will be much better for your son. I wish you and your son all the best. Please keep us updated...we care
Lara (06-15-2013), sallymanda (06-14-2013)