Thread: organ donor??
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2007, 05:07 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I don't know why I forgot to include this in my first post... maybe because my ex-father-in-law died 23 ago, and I divorced his son 17 years ago.

His name was ****, and yes, he was one lol. He was a raging alcoholic who made life miserable for his wife and son. (Yes, his son carried the gene, that's why we divorced.) **** died from a brain stem stroke, it wasn't pretty.

His wife Eleanor donated his organs, skin, eyes, etc. Personally, I didn't hold out much hope that his alcohol-ridden body would be of much use to anyone. He had been a drunk for over 25 years, after all.

Much to everyone's surprise, the Dr.s were able to use everything except his liver! His heart, lungs, eyes, kidneys... it was all usable. They used his skin on burn victims as well.

Eleanor received 17.. count em, 17... letters letting her know about the lives her donation saved. They gave her all the info except patients names.

It was an amazing thing, watching Eleanor transform. The husband she had been ashamed of for many years had finally made a GOOD difference in peoples lives! She was finally able to mention him with pride, able to tell everyone about the good his death had done for so many people. She hung all 17 of those letters on the living room wall, they are there to this day. (According to my ex, who I asked if I could share this story. Now that he's sober, we can actually talk.. made our son's wedding a much more comfortable event, lol)

I just wanted to tell you all this to show that almost anyone can make a difference.

Note: The name he went by was a nicname for Richard...started with a "D". I didn't realize that wouldn't go through the sensors, lol.

There are only two types of people in this world... those who bring you peace and those who don't.

Last edited by theoneRogue420; 05-14-2007 at 05:10 AM. Reason: the asterisks
theoneRogue420 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote