View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 06:04 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Frown GrammieX4

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy1959 View Post
Both my son and I have had cervical decompression surgery for Chiari I malformations and syringomyelia. Shortly after his surgery at age 8, my son developed symptoms of ADD. There is a strong history on his dad's side (grandfather, father, brother and 2 sisters) and I have always just assumed that it was in his genes. Today I read a reference to ADD and cervical abnormalities. It has always bothered me a little that his school performance fell dramatically after the surgery, but since the neurosurgery didn't involve his cerebral cortex and there was no anoxia (lack of oxygen) I couldn't see a cause. His procedure involved an incision in the back of his neck, an enlargement of the foramen magnum (opening in the skull) and duraplasty (adding cadaver spinal cord covering to upper cord. He also had a laminectomy (removal of the back of the verterbrae) at the first cervical level. Today I read a couple of chiropractic case reports of boys with abnormal cervical spines and ADD and Tourette's syndrome. Does anyone have any experience with this?
I am not sure that I am replying in the right area, but here goes. My 9yr. old grandaughter had decompression surgery last year for Chiari Malformation ( she lives with me ) she also has syringomyelia ( a cervical syrinx and a thorasic syrinx) which has caused severe scoliosis and the need to wear a Boston Brace 16 hrs aday. She also has ADHD an takes meds for this. In answer to your question my grandaughter also seemed to experience ( still having issues ) academic problems ( staying on task, spacing, not understanding how to do basics in math and writing skills, etc. after the surgery. Her teachers also saw a difference and mentioned it to me, plus they were concerned with the obvious change in her skills, etc. to write a letter to her NS that did her surgery, so that when we went back for a follow up check I would have this letter plus my obvious concern to voice to him. Sadly the NS did not really think it was a problem ( her teachers and I still think that it is) so I am always looking for a correlation with academic learning and Chiari. Until the medical community acknowledges Chiari Malformation and Syringomyelia as serious disabilities, we are left to struggle on our own with all of this and all of its many side effects, without any medical support or acknowledgment. By the way her father also had ADHD as a child ( my son ) and her older sister also has ADHD and is on meds as well. I hope in some small way this helps.....
GrammieX4 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote