View Single Post
Old 05-14-2007, 06:26 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

What an adorable kitty! It looks like a torty to me, so beautiful.

I was always a "dog person", never saw much use for cats. But after being sick for so many years, as well as suffering from "empty nest syndrome", lol, I found myself at the pound. I was going to "settle" for a cat, as I didn't think it would be fair to any dog to live in an apt. with two people who were too sick to walk it regularly. A cat made more sense.

I picked a calico, her name is Squeakers. She had only been there 24 hours, so I had to go back 2 days later to get her. I had already gotten everything a cat could wish for, lol, so we were set.

Then I gave her her first meal. Both wet and dry, side by side. She sniffed, looked at it, sniffed some more... then started to cry. It didn't take me long to realize that she had NOT been weaned, just ripped away from her mommy! (I later learned from the vet she was only 5 weeks old) She had not eaten in 3 days, she didn't know how. I spent the next three days syringe feeding her while teaching her to eat on her own. That cemented our bond, of course... I really WAS her mommy now

She has brought more joy to my life than I can ever say. You all know exactly what I mean, no need to explain!

Then, almost a year later, I noticed a pregnant stray on our block. I fed the poor thing daily, all I could do for her as she didn't want to come in. She and Squeak hated each other, it wouldn't have worked real well anyway, lol.

I tried for a month to figure out where that cat was staying, to no avail. With my rsd making walking rough, and the aids making being outside in the snow dangerous, I couldn't do as much as I wanted to.

Finally, she got skinny and I freaked out. It was the middle of winter in Idaho, what was going to happen to those poor kitties?!? It took me longer than was healthy, but I did it... I found them. They were almost a month old by that time.

Next step was to get the lady whose apt had the trap door to the crawlspace to let me come in and use it. I must have looked ridiculous, crawling on that dirt floor "meowing", lol.

I found 6 kittens, 4 plain black ones, one torty and one tuxedo. They were as feral as you can get, of course. I will never forget the tuxedo (he was the runt of the litter), hissing and spitting at me. He must have weighed all of two lbs, lol... but with the attitude of a professional fighter!

His name is now Groucho
and he has been my cuddle-muffin lap warmer for almost 4 years now. I never expected him to be so affectionate, with his feral start and all, but he is 10 times as sweet as Squeakers. She's the feisty one now, go figure.... but I love her spirit.

I can't believe that I was so stupid as to think I was "settling" for a cat, lol! Now the saying "cats rule and dogs drool" makes perfect sense.

There are only two types of people in this world... those who bring you peace and those who don't.
theoneRogue420 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote