View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013, 08:44 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default It's different for everybody...

and even the same person will deal with this differently from day to day. It is very, very common for people with chronic pain to need an anti-depressant. It seems the most common combination of meds I see prescribed are Cymbalta (anti-depressant) and Lyrica (for nerve pain.) This is great if you have good insurance that pays for brand name Rx. The only way to know if certain drug combination works for you is to try them, and it can be time-consuming.

Just as important is a support system. This forum is great, since you can read about others and not feel like it's only you that is dealing with adversity. Also I have learned that with family & healthy friends--it is a balancing act. Be honest with your limitations. Although you will need to share grief and frustration with them, don't make it all you say, or it is easy for them to become overwhelmed or start to tune you out. For me, counseling is a must. Finding someone who specializes in chronic pain would be worth the search. You may need to go more frequently until you can find a med combination that gives you some relief and feeling more in control. Maybe reading a book to help you and your girlfriend understand the life changes that come with chronic pain would be a good idea. Search for some titles--there are many to choose from. A counselor may also be able to help you find a local support group so you can meet others that share your struggles.

Then there is healthy diet, supplements, exercise (even when you feel you can't--very important), meditation, spirituality, etc, etc. You have the opportunity to build some really great relationships that will support you, and don't forget to reach out to others--there are a lot of us out there.

I know it's alot to take in. I am on the journey myself. I am waking up each morning and taking stock of what does work and what doesn't hurt, and trying to focus on that as much as I can. One day at a time.
jenng is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Wide-O (06-16-2013)