Thread: Is this normal?
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013, 02:49 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Is this normal?

My neurosurgeon wants to do ACDF and says that I will not be staying in the hospital at all and I will not be wearing a collar at all. Is that normal? I have been reading people's experiences on here and haven't seen anyone that didn't wear some kind of collar for at least a while after. She is also telling me that I will be back to horseback riding by 2 months post surgery - but from what I am reading here, some people aren't even ready to return to full time work at that time, much less strenuous athletic activities. Any thoughts?

I will say that my neurosurgeon is widely considered to be the best in the area for ACDF and Laminoplasty - and I live right near Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, so that is saying something. I do think I am going to try to go to Dartmouth to get a third opinion, but even so, I think I will stick with the surgeon I have. I have little doubt that anyone is going to say anything other than surgery at this point.

I also feel strange being here, and I felt very out of place at the neurosurgeon's office. I heard people talking about how they have been in extreme pain for years and can't get surgery, and I feel like...I don't know, I am not in that much pain, my neurological symptoms aren't that bad, and they want me to have surgery at least in the next few months. I feel like there are people in far more need of surgery than me, (and who actually want it) and yet I am the one who has to have it. Am I the only one who feels that way?
silverfae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote