View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013, 04:46 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Another update...

After refusing a five day course of Solu Medrol for my son (his neuro thinks he may have an MS variant, although there's not enough medical evidence to support a definite diagnosis) I'm having second thoughts about my decision.

I decided to bring my son out to the supermarket with me for a "test run" so to speak. For the past few months he's been homebound, only going out to the car, into the doctor's office and back again.

As soon as we stepped outside today, he put his arms across his face and said the light was blinding his eyes. I'm already aware of the light sensitivity and have a prescription for sunglasses from his neurologist, we'll get them asap.

After about 20 minutes of walking through the store, he started to complain about feeling over-heated and weak, his legs were wobbly again and I had to bring him back out to the car, crank up the A/C and bring him home.

Now I'm beginning to think that perhaps his neuro is right and that I should follow through with the Sulo Medrol. I'm really dreading the side effects and my son is already traumatized by all of the doctors, tests, hospitalizations, bloodwork and IVs he's been through over the past few months, but after what I witnessed today, I'm thinking maybe his doctor is right and I should give in and follow his orders.

I'm not expecting any of you to tell me what to do, I know that ultimately the choice is mine, but I'm feeling disturbed by what I witnessed today with my son and now I'm second-guessing my decision to refuse this treatment. Something is definitely brewing in the child's body, I know he's not faking any of these symptoms, but I'm dreading the side effects of this medication and the psychological effect it will have on him while he's going through it. I also don't like the idea of having to administer the IV infusion myself at home, but the cutoff age for infusions at his neuro's office is 14, so I will have no other choice in the matter.

I will speak with his doctor tomorrow, explain why I decided against this treatment and tell him what went on during our shopping trip today and see if we can't come to some sort of compromise, maybe a three-day course would be reasonable?

Anyway, thats the story, I'll let all of you know how it goes after I speak to his neuro. Thanks for listening.

-Sally
sallymanda is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (06-16-2013)