View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 01:07 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Feeling emotionally void after concussion

Hello,

I never thought I would find myself in this place in life. I used to be an intensely emotional, passionate person. I'm a 25 year old female - everything in my life was going so smoothly and nice until my concussion last month - I hit my forehead on a glass wall at the mall. Before my concussion, I was an extremely happy person. Lately, past few weeks I have noticed that I am feeling absolutely no emotions anymore. In the beginning of the injury, I felt okay emotionally...just was stressed. Now, however, I may THINK about an emotion or have an emotional verbal response to things, but I don't physically feel happiness, sadness, anxiety, excitement, feeling of inspiration, desire, etc. I feel like every ounce of feeling was sucked out of me...I also feel like physically, when I get hurt (like stubbing my toe into something) it really doesn't hurt that much. Certainly not like it used to. Can this be neural? I know emotional responses and physical pain are closely related.

I really don't want to get on medication. I am thinking about getting therapy. Please, someone tell me this feeling is temporary and I will heal? I feel suicidal and just have absolutely no desire for life anymore. I have been having nightmares every night and it's weird because when I wake up in the middle of the night sometimes I feel SO many emotions all at once, but then when I wake up again in the morning it's like I'm back at square one- empty of any sensation. This is by far the most scary thing I have ever experienced. I can deal with the constant post-concussion headaches, ear aches, etc. but the depression is going to murder me. I'm on the verge...

I explained my problem to family and friends and absolutely no one understands me - they think I'm imagining this but I'm not. They just don't think someone as emotional as I used to be could lose their ability to feel. It's the loneliest feeling in the world - I just don't know what to do anymore.
LostinTime987 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
jac3sr (06-17-2013), Lightrail11 (06-17-2013), MJC1864 (06-22-2013)