Thread: Is this normal?
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 01:43 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default In a similar boat.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfae View Post
My neurosurgeon wants to do ACDF and says that I will not be staying in the hospital at all and I will not be wearing a collar at all. Is that normal? I have been reading people's experiences on here and haven't seen anyone that didn't wear some kind of collar for at least a while after. She is also telling me that I will be back to horseback riding by 2 months post surgery - but from what I am reading here, some people aren't even ready to return to full time work at that time, much less strenuous athletic activities. Any thoughts?

I will say that my neurosurgeon is widely considered to be the best in the area for ACDF and Laminoplasty - and I live right near Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, so that is saying something. I do think I am going to try to go to Dartmouth to get a third opinion, but even so, I think I will stick with the surgeon I have. I have little doubt that anyone is going to say anything other than surgery at this point.

I also feel strange being here, and I felt very out of place at the neurosurgeon's office. I heard people talking about how they have been in extreme pain for years and can't get surgery, and I feel like...I don't know, I am not in that much pain, my neurological symptoms aren't that bad, and they want me to have surgery at least in the next few months. I feel like there are people in far more need of surgery than me, (and who actually want it) and yet I am the one who has to have it. Am I the only one who feels that way?
Hello Silverfae,

First of all we need more info to properly help you out. What are you having fused (1 level, 2 level etc.), what are your symptoms and what damage does your MRI show.

Second, speaking as a person who has ACDF surgery pending (i'm waiting for the authorization) I questioned my doctor thoroughly. I'm scheduled to have a 1 level fusion at C4-C5 and I was told that with the one level fusion I won't need a collar. As for my hospital stay he said I'll be there at least a day and a half. The first doctor I saw, who wanted to do a 2 level fusion, tried to say my spinal surgery was an outpatient procedure and I'd only be in the hospital 23hours at the most - I walked out his office and never looked back. If your concerned with the time frame you were given by all means ask the doctor why, and even if you accept her answer still get another opinion. You want at least 3 opinions before having major surgery, just for your own peace of mind.

Lastly, when I first started reading all the wonderful and helpful posts on this sight I also stared thinking the same as you, my injury was only 18 months ago and compared to people who have been dealing with their problems for years it seemed at first I was jumping the gun with surgery, but I kept reading and asking questions and I realized that everybody has different pain tolerance and different damage/injuries. When I say the CONSTANT pain in my neck goes from 7-10+ based on what I'm doing the next person might not be in any pain or they might be totally incapacitated from the same injuries. We all sense and feel things differently. I hope this helps you a little. I'm sure some of the senior members of the site will chime in soon.
LOOKIELOO is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote