View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 05:33 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Katie,

Shortness of breath as you have described it, is pleurisy. As i mentioned in my earlier post, any messing with the lining of the lung, and it is just right there next to the rib, will cause an irritation and it will let you know. Surgery induced pleurisy, I have read, has to run its course.

Don't fuss too much about your current impairments with your arm and breathing. It is a normal part of post surgery for many. The doctors won't tell you about the nerves they tunnel through as it could scare away a patient and its money in their pocket. Have a look at images of the brachial plexus and other nerve bundles that are in your neck and shoulder. The surgery is through so many nerves that look after your arm, it will take months to get reasonable strength back but it will return.

Having 'problems' post surgery that you were not warned about in pre-op is affronting to anyone and I admit, I did not take it very well, once I realised that there were so many things I could not do. Most of it returns over time and if you are young and fit, you will bounce back no problems.

For now, don't push the boundaries too far, accept limitations and settle in for gentle recuperation.
Blurto is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Toronto,Canada (06-17-2013)