Thread: Is this normal?
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 01:13 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Sorry to hear of all that is going on with you. I would think it would be best to have surgery sooner rather than later. Surgery will help to prevent further neurological damage. Myelopathy doesn't usually get better on its own.

I am 38 and have always been very active. It was the first neurosurgeon that I saw that made me stop running and using kettlebells. My main symptoms that brought me to the doctor in the first place were tingling and numbness in my right hand that wouldn't go away (which did progress to my left hand a little). I had slight pain but it wasn't unbearable. However, I was diagnosed with cervical spondylosis with myelopathy and radiculopathy (my MRI also showed cord signal changes suggestive of myelomalacia). My spinal canal at c5-6 measured between 5 & 6 mm. The 2nd neurosurgeon I saw told me in layman's terms that I was crushing my spine. There really wasn't a choice in the matter which sounds somewhat like your case. I had a 3 level ACDF in March. I'm still wearing a bone growth stimulator and in the healing process, so I'm not a good person to talk to about long-term results but so far so good ~ not perfect but overall good.

Good luck to you. Let us know what you decide to do. Take care.
ChelKB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Chicken (06-22-2013)