Thread: TENS units
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 04:12 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Jo*mar - I was just going to ask if TENS was the same thing as stim (which we had at PT) then I saw your post - I guess they're different. I'll ask my PT if he also has a TENS machine - good idea. My daughter's pain doc gave us something called a Hivamat, which helped a little bit, mainly in keeping flares away. I think that's something different, though, but it's also an electrical-type thing.

Hi Brambledog,
re Calmare - I have a little different understanding about it and wanted to share a few links, since it was mentioned. My understanding is that although it's similar to a TENS unit, it's substantially different; different enough that it has its own unique and separate U.S. patent : http://www.uspto.gov/web/patents/pat...-20130219.html. Also, it's different enough that one of the most prestigious health organizations in the U.S., the Mayo Clinic, has several official clinical trials underway; here's one : http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/N...rambler&rank=1 . These are both U.S. government websites; not Calmare sites. Anyway, whatever it is, it put my daughter into remission, and she didn't have to get a SCS! I'm still learning about and studying all sorts of different treatments (including TENS, which is why I started this thread), because I know we're talking remission, not cure, with RSD, but I do know that this treatment did wonders for my daughter.

Hi Az-Di,
My daughter was scheduling her SCS when we came across a mention of Calmare and tried it, so we know at least a little what you're feeling I wanted to pass on that the Calmare clinic in Mesa is now not charging for the first few treatments if it doesn't work for the patient (I live in Phoenix). Also, just another bit of info - a mom on another board I'm on said her daughther went into remission with H-Bot (Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy) treatments - that's another non-invasive treatment that you might want to give a try before the SCS. Best of luck! and please let us know how things go.

Could you guys please share a little more how the TENS works? Where do you put the pads (?) in relation to what is hurting the most and/or the original injury site? How often can you use it? Thanks for sharing - it's so good to get people's experience with things!

Last edited by SloRian; 06-17-2013 at 04:37 PM.
SloRian is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote