View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 08:36 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I was diagnosed with idiopathic hypersomnolence when I was in high school. It was horrible; I missed out on so much! I was prescribed Dexamphetamine just to be able to live a ‘normal’ life. I hated taking this as I believed it made me depressed so I stopped taking it.
Later on I started ‘self medicating’ will illegal drugs. It was the only way I was able to work and study. This had consequences though and eventually stopped. I tried so hard to do what everyone else does without any form of help. I would be late for everything, sleep during my morning tea and lunch break, sleep when I got home. My house was a disaster as I could barely keep on top of it.

I started living on energy drinks causing me to gain so much weight. My body went into starvation mode as I slept through most meals. I could barely look after my children. They were late to school every day. My husband has never understood and just believes I’m lazy. I tried seeing doctors explaining to them how tired I was and asking to go back on some sort of medication again. I told them what I was diagnosed with and none would listen. Everyone put it down to stress, depression, lack of exercise, weight, snoring you name it!

Due to the amount of weight I gained I was eventually placed on Duromine. I was told one of the side effects for not being able to sleep. Well I didn’t have this side effect; it did however give me just enough energy to live a ‘normal’ life. For the first time in about 10 years or more I was able to do basic household chores, look after the children, have a restful night sleep (I even had dreams), work. I was so happy and with it! Unfortunately Duromine is only meant as a short term weight loss drug. Now I’m back to my crap life again. I’m yet to find a doctor willing to help. I am new to the area I currently live in hopefully I will find help here.
rachel torrington is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote