View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 02:01 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi, welcome to this thread.

I am still learning a lot about these issues, as I am only 11 months post accident and pcs/mtbi. Vision and vestibular issues continue to be may main focus of recovery currently.

It is common for the eyes to change after an accident, as the eye/vision is directly connected to the brain and adjusts to trauma.

The light sensitivity, depth perception and night driving capabilities are often challenges, but most will naturally compensate over time (3 months, but I may be wrong here).

Your usual doctor can evaluate your eyes and give a new prescription. I have heard yellow tints help ease night driving, short breaks from reading and practice/exposure will help with the depth perception skills.

Reading and computer use are often hard after a concussion, but some
warning signs that a neuro-ophthalmologist may be needed include:

seeing double vision while seated (or while driving and walking),
difficulty reading (text floats, hard to focus on text).
a sense of flatness (2-D vs 3-D),
the inability to read text without visual discomfort,
difficulty concentrating while reading,
eye strain, or throbbing when reading,
headaches/migraines after reading
I couldn't watch tv, read email or any books, without triggering extreme headaches and migraines. When I did try, my right eye felt like it was moving away, or flickering.

Prism glasses and vision therapy have helped, but I am still encountering difficulty (but I think this has to do with my vestibular issues).

Best of luck!

Post-event: Diagnosed with post-concussion syndrome, ptsd, whiplash, peripheral and central vestibular dysfunction and convergence insufficiency. MRI/CT scans fine.

Symptoms: daily headaches, dizziness/vertigo, nausea, cognitive fog, light/noise sensitivities, anxiety/irritability, fatigued, convergence insufficiency, tinnitus and numbness in arms/legs.

Therapies: Now topamax 50mg daily; Propanolol and Tramadol when migraine. Off nortryptiline and trazodone. Accupuncture. Vitamin regime. Prism glasses/vision therapy. Vestibular therapy 3month. Gluten free diet. Dairy free diet. On sick leave from teaching until Sept. 2014.
berkeleybrain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
jazzbaby1 (06-18-2013)