View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 06:02 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
Attorneys are not doctors so how do they advocate for you about things that are not their expertise? What if your attorney is not familiar with your medical condition?
Most SSDI attorneys worth more than a grain of salt have paralegals/associates/secretaries, etc that will do all the grunt work - research. Don't worry, by hearing time, rest assured your attorney will know more about you & your medical condition than your own doctors & mama!
I was thinking we would have to meet more frequently so that he could get to know me, understand my medical condition, and how it impacts my life. Or does he get all the information from my file which I am guessing will contain my application and all the other paperwork I completed? Is the only "voice" in the process just what is on paper?
Not trying to be smart.... Regarding "disability" claims it is not the atty job to "get to know you." The atty would not have taken on your case if he/she did not think you have a chance of winning. Their job is to make sure they have all of your medical documentations to prove that your medical condition prevents you from working any type of job. The ALJ judge will be reviewing your file prior & during the hearing. Sometimes asking you questions about your health/disability(s). The medical documents from your physicians must prove that your disability is preventing you from working.

This a direct quote from finz who is a valuable contributor here: "With few exceptions (blindness, ALS, terminal cancer, etc) it's NOT about the diagnosis, it's about how your symptoms of that disease/condition impact your ability to work. The ALJ judge will be looking for this information in your medical file (that the attorney presented).
You really ask some interesting questions. My mama always told me, the only dumb questions are the ones not asked!
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hopeless (07-20-2013)