View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 07:12 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Berus,

The OS is correct about the sensitivity issue. Sounds like a portion of the root surface of the second molar is exposed due to bone loss from the wisdom tooth laying up against it. That may or may not get better. Only time will tell as the surgical site heals. If it doesn't improve, you may be able to have a white tooth colored filling placed around the part of the tooth that is sensitive. Sometimes that helps a lot but it would not be done until the site heals.

Regarding the intestinal issues... irrelevant of the test result about C Diff.... you have a problem that needs attention. When someone has loose stools any time during and/or after antibiotic usage, it indicates that the intestinal flora was not balanced to begin with and has now become overwhelmed with bad bacteria in comparison to healthy bacteria. Considering that our immune system is 75% of our intestinal tract .... an imbalance of bacterias can lead to all sorts of health problems

You can try to manage this on your own but you would have to be diligent and not slack off at all. If the bacteria does not become more healthy, you have a greater chance of developing C Diff.

Many patients do well when taking a pre biotic called Sacharomyces Boulardii along with a probiotic like Culturelle. The SC is 500 mgs 2 x's per day, the Culturelle is one capsule 2x's per day. This is usually done for 2-4 weeks. Then if your bowel movements have been normal for several days, just continue the Culturelle indefinitely to maintain a healthy bacteria in your intestinal tract.
Once you have loose stools due to antibiotic therapy, you are then always going to be prone to that condition making the likelihood of C Diff a concern. The best way to prevent this problem is to keep your intestinal bacteria healthy by supplementing with a probiotic every day.... for life.

Diet also plays a huge role in the balance of intestinal bacteria especially when there has been a major upset .... Foods to avoid include high-carb, high-glycemic such as sugar, sweets, foods with added sugar or sweeteners, processed flour, white flour or white rice pastas, breads, pastries, dairy products, soft drinks, sweetened yogurt and ketchup. You can google list of foods that help balance intestinal flora.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berus View Post
Update - saw the oral surgeon again this morning, and discussed my concern about the nightly pain, and the intense cold sensitivity. Looking in, he said that there was still some bone exposed, although healing was occurring. He then showed me the panagraph X-ray taken just before surgery, and explained that the molar (I think he called it 18 or 19) had suffered some bone loss from the wisdom tooth next to it being sideways under the gum, and growing toward its roots. He said that there was still some exposed nerve from that, and that this could account for the cold sensitivity. I asked about NICO, which he, at first didn't seem familiar with, but then said "OH, we call that Osteo Necrotizing (something or other)." He then said that he saw no signs of infection at all, and that I should give it another month because healing was slow due to my being 51. He gave me two syringes of some sort of yellowish gel and told me to use that to control pain and promote healing.

So... I'm not sure if I feel good about that or not. I sort've wanted another X-ray, but he assured me there was no sign of infection. Any suggestions, Bryanna? Should I seek a second opinion now, or give this another week or two? Also... and this is a bit embarrassing... having been on antibiotics for the first 3 weeks of this ordeal (two weeks before, and 1 week after surgery), I came down with loose stools. I was tested for C-diff by my primary care physician about 3 weeks ago, and it was negative. However, it's continuing, despite my having used some Florastor pro-biotic intermittently. (I have been lax in making sure I get 2 doses per day. When things improve, I tend to slack off, and the problem returns.) Could this be C-diff, or is this normal after so many antibiotics? (I have been off antibiotics for 3 weeks now.)

Thanks again!
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote