View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 08:52 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIT LOVE View Post
Receiving concurrent WC and SSDI benefits is fine. Although, for many people it does not result in a large increase of monthly income. You're allowed to collect benifits from both, up to 80% of your gross income (they'll even go back a few years? Maybe even 5? if you had a decrease in income. I 'd have to look up the rule.) WC income is not taxed and at least in CA, has no COLA. SSDI is taxable, and has a slight COLA (cost of living adjustment) most years of 2-3% to keep up with inflation.

Again, different UE rules state different things and have different requirements. If you are required to actively be looking for work, someone at SS might question your honesty since with SSDI you're claiming to be unable to work.

Rules for WC and SSDI are very different. Is a QME report enough to prove qualification for SSDI? Highly unlikely. And all those reports WC generates by docs that have never met you to turn down meds and procedures? You'll have to provide overwhelming evidence for SS that you are unable to function at any job, making roughly $1000 per month.

I don't believe you can collect UE and WC at the same time.

If you live in CA, HI, NJ, NY or RI, they have short term disability insurance available, or if you have a private LTD insurance policy, than you should apply for that ASAP. Than you can apply for SSDI as well.

There is currently a bill introduced in Congress about passing legislation that makes it impossible to qualify for SSDI and UI in the same months. http://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th-...ouse-bill/1502

There are ALJ's that will not approve applicants for months that they are receiving UI. The ALJ may decide that you are not credible when you tell one government agency you are ready, willing and able to work and tell another government agency that you are unable to engage in substantial gainful activity because of a disability. But that is not yet law.

So, the answer about SSA is either not yet or depends. Pretty darn vague, I know.
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
LIT LOVE (06-18-2013)