View Single Post
Old 05-14-2007, 10:47 AM
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

Age makes a big difference, IMO, in terms of allowing over night or long distance trips, and we're all going to assess risk a little differently based upon our life experience and philosophy.

I didn't let my 9 year old go on a birthday party outing a few years ago, because it was a trip to Build A Bear.... one hour south of the state border and through Chicago metro area traffic. NO WAY! What were these parent's thinking? I guess maybe if it was close family friend taking my child... but somebody I had never even met before... I should trust them with my child?

But...sooner or later we have to start loosening those apron strings. You really have to come to terms with that when they start driving~ I hated that! And then when they go to college... well.... you just don't have any control over what they do. Influence, hopefully. Taught them well, hopefully. Control, no way.

Well, what I didn't want to say earlier is that we opted not to send my daughter on a week long DC trip for her sixth grade class trip...age 12. BUT... we had been there just the previous summer on a family vacation, the trip was expensive, it was fourteen hours away, it was A WEEK long, AND she had just been diagnosed with epilepsy and not under full seizure control. Oh yeah... did I mention lack of sleep was a major seizure trigger? That was the tipping point for me. I was just happy that we had just been there, but I felt badly that she had to miss it. I do think DC is a place worth visiting at least once...although this is a time where we have to think about things we never did even ten years ago.

So, I think sometimes we just have to let go, and hold our breath that everything will be ok. I say that with complete respect for those who can't quite bring themselves to do that. I've been there, too.

Lisa, I'm glad your daughter made it home safe and sound, and I hope she had a great time. This is an experience she'll remember forever.

Cara

jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote