View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 12:39 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

The middle toes of the left foot have been the predominant, continuing source of pain. Most of the time they feel as if they are on fire.

The distal toes on the right foot have some degree of lack of sensation or enduring numbness. It is disconcerting, but not troublesome. After my first meeting with the neurologist and his exam, reflecting upon his findings of insensate areas helped me recall that much of the lack of sensation had been present for months, if not years.

The primary site of the neuropathy is my left thigh, leg, and foot. Much of the time, my left foot is ice cold to the touch and is insensate except to pressure. This extends above the foot to the sock level above the ankle to the lower leg.

Most of the time, my lateral, anterior left leg is numb. I experience shooting pain at times when supine. There is no loss of motor function. From time to time this will fade and I can feel my pants leg on my skin.

Usually the anterior, lateral portion of my left thigh is numb. When I stand too long, I experience a deep burning pain there. This will resolve upon sitting. It can be annoying when this area starts to itch. I worry that scratching it can produce lesions. I can scratch it and not feel the scratching, except in the periphery of the numb area.

The numbness in the thigh will abate spontaneously from time to time with the sensation of cold tingling that one gets when a foot that was asleep from sitting in a strange position wakes up.

When I walk, I can experience unpredictable burning pain in my left thigh and leg. The duration of the pain is unpredictable as well. Stopping and leaning on my trusty walking stick allows me to wait it out. I have learned to enjoy the view.

Before I started the Gabapentin, I had pain in both hips. The pain in the right hip had been there for several years. My GP had attributed it to sciatica from repeated back injuries in my work as a Paramedic.

The diagnosis is idiopathic neuropathy. I am a normally healthy, 64 year old male. No significant family history. Controlled glaucoma.

Unfortunately, the neuropathy manifested itself as I was recovering from a SLAP repair of the right glenoid labrum. I fell in January of 2011, tried this and that, had a MRI and surgery in November 2011, and physical therapy afterwards. I recovered completely from the labral tear, and had complete range of motion and strength by the 1 year mark.

I have some numbness in my left arm down the the little finger. It is apparent only in the little finger.

I have carpal tunnel syndrome in my right arm. It has been a problem for at least 15 years. I have developed coping strategies for it, so I pretty much ignore it.

The nerve conduction test confirms all of this, for what it's worth.

I currently take Gabapentin 2400 mg a day, Slo-Mag because the Epsom salt soaks help my foot, I started the B-12 oral as suggested on this forum and its sources, I have Tramadol 50 mg, but am not sure if it helps when I take it. I experimented with Capsaicin. Except for too much yesterday, it seems to help the toes.

Since the fall in 2011, I have been unable to work or do many of the things I have done in the past. Fortunately, I have a supportive, extended family living here. Good or bad, I was old enough to retire and did so.

Chris
chfite is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote