View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 01:22 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

That thigh symptom.... it really sounds like meralgia paresthetica.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2000/0401/p2109.html
Figure 2B shows the lateral femoral nerve which is sensory only
leaving the abdomen under the inguinal ligament.

This is a sensory only condition and does not affect the muscles.

I had (have this in remission now) for about 10 yrs. Mine came from abdominal surgery and was in my right thigh. Stabbing pain, rotating with numbness, etc was the norm for me. Heat makes it much worse I found. When Lidoderm patches came out I used them at that spot on the diagram at AAFP site illustration 2B... for 2 weeks and it put the nerve into a remission. It has been a small miracle for me. It will twinge now and then but only briefly and never stays like it was at one time.

We have a forum here with more comments:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum76.html
There are many triggers for this:
too tight belts or clothing

surgery in the abdomen, or bone harvesting in the back hip,

compression of the portion of the sciatic nerve exiting the spine at L4/L5...there are anatomical variations among people for this nerve pathway.

Have you ever tried Lidoderm patches? This may be a thing to consider. If you suspect your back, you could apply them there.
Otherwise, the groin/hip area on the diagram is the best spot for MP, and if used in the front, 1/2 patch might do it if placed correctly.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote