View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 03:57 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Exclamation Neurontin Prevents Synapse Formation

I've been on 31 years now, since college. It does ca what you've been having, yes, but it also stops - or greatly reduces - the formation of synapses. Since the brain naturally "prunes" itself over the years through a kind of atrophy anyway, based on which connections you most, losing the ability to make new synapses is hella concerning. I've gotten stupider and stupider over the years but nobody has taken me seriously or had answers when I've complained. I'm just now learning about this research finding. It also answers why my memory (short term and long term) is horrible and why my voracious reading hasn't been adding knowledge to my mind for years now - nothing sticks anymore! I've always loved acquiring knowledge, have been eternally self-educating, but to my horror I've been forced to realize that reading it no longer means diddly after I set the book down. This is extremely frustrating - am only in my early 50's but function like a doddering senile old coot! I've been tested for early dementia but do not have that, thankfully, so I'm digging into other avenues to find the problem and fix it. Today, anyway. Tomorrow I may forget all about it. I wish I were kidding...
Isabella Ringen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote