View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 08:41 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Red face Terrible nocturnal leg cramps

I am so happy to find this forum. I have had nocturnal leg cramps off and on for many years, but it was not a frequent thing and easily cured with a couple of spoonfuls of yellow mustard. However, the present time is a completely different story. For the past six months, the cramps have been occurring more and more frequently and more forceful. Now, the cramps occur several times a week. The muscles are so sore and painful that I suffer terribly the following day. I am losing sleep big time. I have always had trouble either going to sleep or staying asleep, but not due to pain; the reason was that my brain just would suddenly start thinking about something and I would awaken. However, now just entering my 70's, the lack of restful sleep is taking its toll on me. I yearn for a good night's sleep, but I am dreading going to sleep because I know I will be awakened by a horrible cramp. I used to only have a cramp in the calf of my left leg. Now the calf muscles in both legs and the thigh muscles are cramping. Sometimes, I feel the cramp beginning down in the foot and I can flex my feet and the cramp will pass, but my body never will relax afterwards and allow sleep to return.
I have enjoyed reading this forum and have gained some insights from all of you who share similar stories. I have tried some of the suggestions made by the group and I want to share my feelings and ask for your insight and suggestions. I am trying the exercises to length the calf muscle. I bought the Morton's Epson Salt lotion from Walmart and generously applied it on my legs twice yesterday and once today. I bought the Slo-Mag magnesium tablets yesterday and used them yesterday and this morning. Last night I did not have a cramp and slept more hours. My muscles had been very sore from the cramps the previous night and perhaps the Epson Salt lotion helped with the soreness. Now another problem reared its head today. I had terrible bloating and gastrointestinal distress most of the day. I bought a box of Gas-X strips and used 4 strips as directed this afternoon which helped a good bit. I also take Metformin for pre-diabetes and occasionally have some gas issues, but I have had no bloating. Can anyone offer insight here? I realize this is a very long conversation for my first post and I do apologize. Thanks so much
Mella is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (06-20-2013)