View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 10:55 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleybrain View Post
Thanks for your tips-they are very helpful. I'm glad to see that you are doing well as you recover, especially with school.

I'm curious, was there a test your ENT did to confirm Perilymph Fistula? I'm going to UCSF's neuro-otologist (but not to September) to pinpoint my central and peripheral vestibular issues (some symptoms are very similar to yours).

I have a short family vacation that requires a 6 hour plane ride, so I am a bit nervous!
I did not need a test. My neuropsychologist and my physiatrist consulted with an ENT after my cognitive tests came back so positively and it is "highly likely" in their words that this is fistula that was re aggravated from my initial injury by the loud music (I am also a professional musician, so I am constantly encountering loud sounds). There are several tests that can be performed but are rather invasive and should not be performed unless the symptoms fail to improve because they can actually worsen tinnitus and dizziness for a time after the tests.

As for the plane ride, I would strongly suggest avoiding it. I flew from London to Pittsburgh 6 weeks after my ear injury and experienced worsening symptoms in the weeks following the trip. This is called barotrauma from the fluctuating pressure in the cabin. Changes in elevation and barometric pressure from the weather also affect my tinnitus and hyperacusis. I was able to fly prior to my 2nd injury, which was 5 months post concussion without any problems at all though. At the moment, until this injury heals, I am avoiding all forms of long travel and doing my rehab exercises. Do what you think is best.
gettingitback is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
berkeleybrain (06-20-2013), Blueowl (06-08-2014)