View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 06:34 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
I'll repeat the PharmaGaba suggestion I gave you before. It might help you out stress wise. I used the PharmaGaba last year during the Houdini crisis and it really helped. I just started Hubby on it 1/2 dose, because he gets anxious before our long complex trip upNorth. (5 weeks) We have to take stuff up there, including 2 cats, and all the special food etc. Books, my art supplies, household needs. We are on an island far from stores, so we go prepared. I just made a big Amazon order yesterday.
PharmaGaba is new and not like other Gaba products....The others don't work well orally.

This is the one I use...
http://www.amazon.com/Nutrigold-Phar...rds=pharmagaba
Some of the other brands are way too expensive.
I take 200mg at bedtime. It lasts completely thru the next day.
That truly is an interesting product - especially in light of the topic.

I know I'm not supposed to answer here ( ), but GABA-B receptors play a big part in alcoholism. One of the medications that are being tested and shows real promise is ... an old medication called baclofen. I'm guessing PharmaGaba works on the same receptors? Baclofen is known - at high dose - to create an indifference to alcohol. It doesn't work for everybody, and there can be serious side effects, but it has been a life saver for many. France officially endorsed the use of it in alcoholism treatment just a few weeks ago.

So maybe your link is worth a closer look by some of our members...

As for the diagnose ALCOHOLIC NEUROPATHY (for some reason this seems to need all-CAPS, but that's not the only reason why this topic bugs the living ***** out of me...), in my case it went:

"Do you drink?"
"Yes, too much actually."
"Oh, than you have alcoholic neuropathy."

No tests (apart from a blood panel), just my word for it. The fact that I had been low in B12 for a long time most probably due to taking antacids for many years played no part.

But.

Somehow this is seen as a "totally different type of neuropathy" by the OP, and I wonder why. Like alcoholists (I have no problem with the term, it's a neat rubber stamp, right?) are some kind of aliens I suppose...

Anyway, I think the point is that the causes of neuropathy are not the same as the elements that create more discomfort once you already have it. Nobody here got neuropathy from eating too much Mexican food. But many can now not eat it without serious consequences.

Alcohol is mildly toxic (especially over a longer term, where it becomes a toxin), a depressant (forget feeling better through drinking, you'd be the first human for which that works), and it messes with your perception of pain. You might well actually feel less pain while drinking - as already explained by Mrs. D. But catch up it will. Ouch.

I think Mr. Smith explains it correctly: you learn to listen to your body, and avoid stuff that makes you feel worse or you know will harm you longer term. How much you drink, and if that is alcoholism or not, is totally irrelevant. Just like there is no "chocolatism"; if it hurts or harms you stop consuming it.

You can not fret about things like Acetyl L Carnitine or B6 (BTW, beer contains a LOT of B6 ) and then somehow convince yourself that alcohol will probably not harm you. That just doesn't make sense.

Anyway, yeah, a kitten (Mrs. D., one of our cats is called Houdini too!) or... a dog might be a much better plan. You can train the dog to fetch you things, it will force you to get out of the house, and if you bring it up properly you have a best friend for life, who feels exactly when you feel bad or are in pain (our two labradors certainly do...).

Your resident alcoholic,

Wide-O

Last edited by Wide-O; 06-20-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Wide-O is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (06-20-2013)