View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 02:08 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

When I encountered an office that was not handing over my daughter's records, despite phone calls in advance AND written request (they gave me a folder with about 3 pieces of paper in it. Her file, however, was 1/2 inch thick!), I stood there in the waiting room and very loudly asked, "I have requested a copy of my daughter's records, ARE YOU DENYING TO COMPLY?" They gave me a run-around answer, again. I stood my ground and again, loud enough for everyone in the office to hear, "I REQUESTED, IN WRITING, A COMPLETE COPY OF MY DAUGHTER'S MEDICAL RECORDS, ARE YOU DENYING TO COMPLY?" and the office manager came running out of her office and took care of it with a very worried look on her face.

They cannot deny you your records. Can NOT. They can charge you for them, they can make you wait to get them, up to a month is usually the limit (under the guise of having time to get the copies made), but they cannot legally deny you your records. ALL of your records, not just what the doctor decides to share.

To places that say, "The doctor has to approve this" or "the doctor has to look through to tell us what to give you", the answer is "No. I have requested ALL of my records, and I am legally entitled to ALL of my records. Every last page." If they continue to fuss, then you hit them with "If I do not receive ALL of my records, as legally requested and as legally entitled, I will file a complaint with the state regulatory board as well as discuss this with my attorney. Now, I have requested a copy of ALL of my records, ARE YOU REFUSING TO COMPLY WITH THIS REQUEST?"

You don't have to yell, or get angry, you just stand there firm, immovable, confident and controlled, no nonsense-don't mess with me attitude. Because you ARE right, and you ARE entitled to your records, without trouble, argument, delay, or fuss. Period. Usually that works, as most places get the message that they are in for trouble if they don't hop to it. Otherwise, filing a complaint with the state is free.

I have also always gotten myself a copy, for free rather than pay their fees, by telling them, I am requesting a copy for myself so I can make further copies and distribute them to whatever doctors I end up going to, without bothering you again. If you give them to me, I won't ask you to send them out over and over again as I search for the answer I need. (And if you don't, I will have to keep sending you requests and you will keep having to make copies and pay to ship them out....). Has always worked.

Any testing you had done--from x-rays to MRI's, etc, you can usually call the test place directly and get copies of not only the reports, but the scans as well. Don't have to go through the doctors for those, and these places don't care at all what you're asking for or where you'll be sending it, so they usually comply quickly and easily, no problem.
winic1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hopeless (06-21-2013)