View Single Post
Old 06-22-2013, 06:47 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Constipation is one of the worse symptoms of PD for me, and the only one that sometime is so bad I think it could kill me.

Like Bob I find an improvement in my PD symptoms after defecation.

Back in February, 2011 there were discussions about constipation in the thread "Faecal transplant eases symptoms of Parkinson's"
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...ghlight=faecal

I proposed (post #21) the following hypothesis:
"rather than Parkinson's causing constipation (as I'd always assumed), it is rather the case, that with the wrong bugs in the gut, Parkinson's and constipation reinforce one another: Parkinson's slows the transit time, leaving longer for toxins to build up, leading to a worsening of the Parkinson's, and so on."

I presented (post #29) the following data:
"Since my diagnosis in 2005 I've collected PD relevant data, including between 2006 and 2009 defecation data. ( I gave up collecting defecation data because I was worried about becoming anally retentive [!!!].) Things are complicated by changes in medication, both directly for constipation and for PD. So, I've chosen a period between January and August 2006 when I was on neither.

"The frequencies of the length of time in days between defecations are:
[0,1) 23
[1,2) 45
[2,3) 16
[3,4) 24
[4,5) 3
[5,6) 3

The data above is from 7 years ago. I dream of having the same results now. As I reported then, I no longer collect this data, but my estimate in percentage terms of my defecation interval times now are:
[0,1) 10
[1,2) 10
[2,3) 10
[3,4) 10
[4,5) 20
[5,6) 20
[6,7) 20

For me Movicol with prune juice is the most effective treatment to keep the faeces relatively soft. If this for some reason does not work and the faeces harden, I find drinking a litre of hot orange juice over a period of about a hour helps as a laxative.

I suppose that if it gets worse, i.e. over a week without defecation, I'll try an enema. Has anyone got any experience of this?

Finally, although I can't compete with Bob and municipal warnings, I find that blocking the toilet is a problem. If you can, you want to break up the faeces before you flush. If I flush and the faeces block up the system where I can't reach them, I flush a few times to see if this gets rid of the blockage. If there's no luck and the toilet is only draining slowly, I find the best way to unblock it is to flush the toilet then put a football ( = soccer ball in US English) in the water and force it up and down, raising and lowering the water level, eventually it should clear.

John
johnt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote