View Single Post
Old 06-22-2013, 07:21 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default No shame in meds!

I'm so sorry are going through this. I can sort of relate in that my husband has complained that I lost my ability to empathize. I am now regaining it back. Part of that was me protecting myself from feeling the emotions of others, because I could barely stand to feel my own emotions, as they exacerbated my symptoms in the first several months. So maybe this is your body Protecting itself!

I also dealt with a pretty severe bout of depression. As soon as I started feeling really terrible, I went to my doctor and got on an antidepressant. I already knew What I was going to take, because I had a serious depression before I ever had A head injury and had gone through the trial and error process of finding the right one. About a month after starting the antidepressant, I felt like myself again. I will eventually stop taking antidepressants if I can, but I know many people who need to take them for the rest of their lives. There's No shame in it. It's not a personal Failing. It is an illness that can be fatal if not treated. Medication isn't always the right choice, but it can be a life-saving one. It may take a little time and experimentation to figure out the best choice for you. First things first, I would get a new primary care physician. You need someone on your side! Good luck to you!
I have recovered my cognitive function, and I've overcome severe vertigo through sensory integration therapy. Wellbutrin has helped me escape depression. I have recently had a few stress-related migraines, as well as headaches stemming from eye strain. I'm also dealing with tinnitus, lack of stamina, extreme light sensitivity, and eye pain. Diagnosed with 9 different vision issues: convergence insufficiency, pursuit eye movement deficit, egocentric visual midline shift, photophobia, visual information processing delays, accommodative insufficiency, saccadic eye movement deficit, lack of coordination, and central peripheral visual integration deficit.

*First concussion: October 2010. I was pregnant and got rear ended. I associated my mild PCS symptoms with baby brain and blamed my light sensitivity on allergies and dry eyes.
*Second concussion: December 2011. I hit my head on a wooden beam, saw stars but did not lose consciousness, and I had very disturbing PCS symptoms but didn't go to the doctor.
*Third concussion: August 2012. I caused a car accident as a result of PCS symptoms. Thankfully no one was injured but me. My husband confronted me, and I finally sought help and took medical leave from work. My symptoms worsened, and I developed severe vertigo.
*Fourth concussion: November 2012. I was riding in a car with a friend and we were hit head on by a driver who lost control of her car. I didn't have a big increase in PCS symptoms.
DFayesMom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jinxicat9 (06-24-2013), LostinTime987 (06-22-2013), MJC1864 (06-22-2013)