View Single Post
Old 05-14-2007, 03:44 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default tips for surgery, travel, etc.

1. be sure you have a handicapped placard and take it with you ( spares the arms driving around and around looking for parking spaces, less walking while pushing a heavy grocery cart, etc.

2. be sure to preboard onto the plane with the families with small children, the elderly and disabled ( it saves having to rush while the herd boards) It also give you time to grab a pillow and blanket and advise the stewards that you may need help if there is any problems.

3. be sure to keep all of your medications with you when you board the plane. Then there is less chance of being stuck without your meds if your baggage is lost.

4. I keep a small lockbox for my pain meds.

5. I'm always uptight about losing my pain meds while traveling, so I put my pain meds in one of those things that go around your waist, that you can put your airline tickets, passport etc. The one I have has is a couple of small zip pockets that I put my pain med bottles in. It like a really flat fanny back.

6. take a notebook with paper and pen (I needed this to keep track of my new medications and when to take them). There are lots of written instructions from physical therapy, the surgeon, etc. It is nice to have one place to put them so they don't get lost. When you are recovering from the surgery it is easy to made a medication mistake so when you take a med you cross it off.

7. take a heating pad is that is something you use, and an ice pack that you can refill with ice

8. What I would do differently would be to take a shuttle from the airport to the hotel. If you are bad enough to be having surgery you probably shouldn't drive the 30 minute drive from the Denver airport to your hotel. ( if you are going to Denver)
You can take cabs or I found a great service that had towne cars come to take you to the surgicenter or where ever. I used this service when I was alone in Denver for a nerve block and needed someone to drive me back to the hotel. It was a limo service but had towne cars that were about the same fee as cabs and really nice. I got the recommendation from the shuttle driver.Your hotel may also have that service. I think the rental car agencies will deliver their rental cars to your hotel.
These are just a few thoughts, I'll think of more.

Martha
ocgirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote