View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 05:56 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Chicken ~ Surgery should ALWAYS be a LAST RESORT after all conservative methods have been exhausted. You see, surgery is ONLY for mechanical problems. It is NOT for pain. Usually after surgery, you are left with the same pain or worse. Then there is the problem of the "Domino Effect" which the doctors don't tell us about. That is where the levels above/below the surgery site FAIL. It fails because it has to take on more of the load. Then that means more surgery. And after you have THAT site repaired, the levels above/below THAT site fail meaning more surgery, etc. etc. etc. It's a vicious circle.

Personally, I'd ask my doctor to refer me to Physical Therapy -- that, very often can help with problems such as this. While seldom does a disc repair itself, it has been heard of. But physical therapy, especially POOL THERAPY is very beneficial for spine injuries like this. So ask your doc for a referral. The exercises they give you are very important too -- they're gentle but effective.

Walking is usually one of the BEST exercises we can do! If it causes you pain, don't do it. I would think that bike riding wouldn't be good for you, due to the bouncing of the bike. That can cause problems -- but if you don't have any pain, I guess it's ok. I'd be very careful tho.

Keep us posted, and let me know about the phyical therapy, okay? Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Chicken (06-23-2013)