View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 11:26 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Some more questions for Bryanna

Hi Bryanna:
Thank so much for your advice and help in the past. I have some more dental questions for you. At this point I am 2 and a half months since my root canal extractions of #2 and #3 and 1 month since #31 root canal extraction. I think I had mentioned before that #2 had roots very close to my sinus and upon removal the Doctor showed me the infected root canaled teeth and the large abcess sac hanging off #2 that was wedged between #2 and #3. He did remove the periodontal ligament and cleaned the area well but I have some concerns at this point about a few things. I have slight aching and discomfort along the socket areas of #2 and #3. I also feel that the extraction of #3 lifted #4 somewhat (Is this possible?) because my bite feels like I catch on #4 somewhat (as if it is slightly higher now). I have recently went to another holistic dentist to see about what I am feeling but he says that I have TMJ which he feels requires an ortho appliance (plus adjustment, equilibriation, etc) on my lower jaw. Perhaps that maybe but I am hesitant to go down that path since prior to my root canal flare-up and extractions I did not have jaw pain. So here are my questions and any thoughts you may have would be very appreciated.
[*]Could the discomfort in #2 and #3 be part of the healing process as the tissues expand/contract or could a cavitation be happening? Should I get an X-ray or give it more time?[*]Could have #4 been affected by the extraction of #3? If so, will it re-set to it's original position given enough time?[*]I now notice I wake up with my teeth clenched (particularly were on my right side at #4's position) could this be do to the trauma of the extractions and will subside at some point?[*]I would like to get an implant for #3 since I have its chewing buddy #30 but this latest dentist says (if I am understanding him correctly) I need to be careful that there is no residual infection in the upper jawbone to insure the longevity of the implant. If this is true, how long would I need to wait and what would I need to do to make sure that I could go forward with an implant?[*]This latest dentist says that having the proper bite alignment is crucial for an implants long term success (past its 10 year average life span) and that I must address this issue with my TMJ before embarking on an implant. I am considering going to yet another dentist because I am wary about a TMJ diagnosis for myself but aside from that, would I be putting an implant at risk because of potential alignment issues?

Thank you,
Samantha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaJ View Post
Hi Bryanna,
His office is to email me a detailed breakdown of all what would be done for that price so that I can check with my insurance company within the week but I have not received it yet. Though I want to be as informed as possible, my first inclination is to not to go down this path. The main reason is that it seems kind of irreversible if it doesn't work, plus the cost too. I am not convinced at this point that TMJ is my problem and I am getting a bit wore down by all these differing dental perspectives. This was the 4th dentist that I have gone to (1 conventional, 3 holistic) in the last 3 months for my problems. I do appreciate that the one Doctor did agree that root canals are problematic and removed mine according to the extraction process (periodontal ligament, etc.) that I requested after reading a few whole body dental books but he doesn't believe in implants and he doesn't seem to get what I am saying when I tell him that #4 seems high to me now (as if when #2 and #3 were removed that it got lifted up somewhat in the process, though it does not feel loose to the touch). At the end of the day, I would like an implant for #3 (I do have #30 for a chewing buddy), to get rid of this strange high feeling in my mouth on the right side around #4 and get rid of the rest of the amalgam fillings and nickel based crowns I have in a healthy, safe manner. I really appreciate your even and patient approach with all of us who contact you and so I was wondering if you have any advice for me at this point? Would an implant be at risk from a bite adjustment problem or TMJ if that is what is really going on?
SamanthaJ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote