View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 02:20 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

[QUOTE=iammagi36;991432]I found this thread after having an extraction that apparently perforated the sinus. The tooth was infected (see attached photos) and I obviously waited too long. I realized it was perforated when I tried to sniff I could feel air bubbles coming up through my tooth which just had bone graft material put in. It looked fine to my dentist in the xray. When I go home I bent over and a little bit of blood came out of my nose. I also spit out a small clump of blood surrounded by mucus. Since then (24hrs later) everything seems fine. My sinuses are clear and I only have minor pain at the site where the tooth was and no swelling anymore. I started on a Z-Pack yesterday. Should everything heal without the need for further treatment? I'm worried I'm not out of the woods yet.

QUOTE]

Here it is 12 days after the extraction. I saw the dentist a couple of days ago and she said it looked good. Although the pain has been decreasing every day today I noticed it is infected again. The bump that was on my upper gum is back and it's hurting more today than it did yesterday. My ear hurts a little too. This morning she phoned me in another round of Amoxycillin TR-K CLV 875mg twice a day, 14 tablets (today is Sunday). I will see her again on Tuesday. I can't believe there's any bits of tooth left to cause the recurring infection since she x-rayed it after the procedure and from looking at the tooth the root tip (see attachment) it was encapsulated by the cyst. She did a bone graft as well so she debrided the bone. Could it be she left infected bone up there, or an infected ligament? What can be done other than antibiotics? Was the problem I just needed a longer run and higher dose of antibiotics (or did the Z-pack interfere) or is something radically wrong? I'm very worried now.

BTW, in my initial post I stated I began with a Z-pack (which I took to completion). I also began taking Amoxicillin in addition to the Z-pack after day three because the infection didn't seem to be going away completely even though most of the swelling (bump) went away. Once I started the Amoxicillin the swelling gum went away completely within less than 48 hours. It seems the perforated sinus healed fine also (no bleeding, swelling or pain).
Attached Thumbnails
tooth extraction when root is in sinus cavity-tooth_extraction1_6-11-13-jpg  

Last edited by iammagi36; 06-24-2013 at 02:48 AM.
iammagi36 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote