Thread: Exercise and MS
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 11:48 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I started walking because my husband had a heart attack and I wasn't about to let him walk with out me. At first I could only do .4 miles. But that was something. I eventually worked up to 1 mile and occasionally do more than that. Now the doctor has released him to do whatever he feels like he can do and I trust him so when he goes to the mall I go tot he Y. It has really surprised me what I can do there. Where there is no way I could walk 6 miles I can ride a recumbent bike 6 miles. I couldn't at first. I could only do 1 mile. Now I am slowly adding on some upper body exercises and some strength training. I have had to be insistent that I not let them put me on a full training like they would like to. I don't think they have anyone on staff who know anything about MS. I know I could do the aquatics but the classes are in the mornings and I am asleep then and at this point in my life I don't want to change that.

As far as the diet, I try to keep away from red meats, eat my fiber, make as many low fat choices as I can. I have had to relearn how to eat. A veggie pizza can taste as good as a sausage when you give it time.

doydie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jules A (06-25-2013), Natalie8 (06-27-2013), SallyC (06-25-2013)