View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 06:55 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Well, the summertime is here...weeds are "growing like weeds" , and half the time I can't get the weed-eater started. BUT, the favas have produced unbelievable amounts of beans this year. The plants are looking "tough" from the 90 degree heat and not much moisture in the ground. Don't think they will be productive much longer. That means they will be pulled out and new seeds planted soon for a fall crop of tops. Some of them, if they have new bottom growth , will be "pruned" of wore out stems to give space for developing healthy plants parts to grow. Have not had trouble with apids this year and there are very few spittlebugs around on plants (probably all are grown up and mating and laying eggs! Overall , even with the floods and reconstruction of raised beds,etc...it has been a very good spring. The greenhouse cover has made an immense difference in the type of heat and the environment in the greenhouse....like being under a young tree just beginning to leaf out. Still getting brocoli/ cabbage / yellow squash / cukes /kale/ chard from the greenhouse. Tried drying Kale...very good! I am in the middle of some new experiments that I hope will work /and processing lots of favas...staying up late at night...one time til 1:30...a bit too late , to get them done. Small sacrifice at this point...for the blessings of the harvest God has given. God is Good.
Aunt Bean is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote