View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 01:27 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

MRSD: I need your advice on something. 2 questions really.

Well, first off - my earlier concerns about the pricing of Acetly L Carnitine have come true - GNC has upped it from $21 dollars to $35 dollars in just this last month. (this for 60 pills of 300mg) The clerk there, said something about it's popularity among athletes that pumped up its price...bad for me -as I feel I need this for my health and now it went up in price dramatically.

Anyway: I finally read all the articles you linked and felt that, not only does the AC L carnitine help me with PN but with other disorders I have struggled with (OCD, depression, PN pains - big reduction there, and even some hair loss).

Though in 1 article (the latest) it says that it might be "dangerous" for people with low thyroid levels or Hypothyroidism.

Here are my 2 questions: Do you think a person, like me, with normal thyroid function can get Hypothyroidism from taking A L Carnitine?

And here is my 2nd question, which is much more important.

MY daughter-in law really wants to take A L Carnitine. (In fact, she has found the brand "Doctors Best" on the net and intends to order this for us both -it is only about 17 dollars, compared to the 35 dollars at GNC.) But she has some thyroid problems. From her tests, the problem was not hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism, but simply a "Possible detection of cancer cells in the thyroid". Later test show this diagnosis seems to have disappeared.

She also suffered from postpartum depression and is over-weight for her age and size. ( She's only 26 years old.) She takes a weight loss product called "Hydoxycut", too - which I warn against. I could be wrong, but I feel products like Hydroxycut might actually be a culprit in unbalancing her thyroid issues, but what do I know???

The idea for her, it to replace the Hydroxycut with A L carnitine for weight loss, fatigue and weakness, and more so, for her mental mood and to "Balance" her thyroid issues, whatever they may be. I asked her strenuously if she has HYPOthyroidism and she says her tests show that she does not.

I told her I would ask you about all this, as you seem far more knowledgeable in such things, than the doctors I've asked - whom, surprinlgy to me; seem genuinely stumped on ANY supplement issues.

Can you please give me/us some advice on this. We both would really like to know what you think about this, as your advice and links are always so sound and logical. Thanks for your time and consideration.
Jesse M is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote