View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 08:09 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Grin Helping Feet

I've had three foot surgeries for the same thing - arthritis of the big toe joint and lowering the second toe. The first surgery didn't help much and the nerve to the second toe was damaged. The second surgery the joint was fused and the second toe lowered. I had five screws and a couple of plates. The pain just didn't improve as time went on. Ten months later I saw a podiatrist who said she would remove the hardware. She discovered the hardware was too large for my foot and that the foot had been fused at the wrong angle. I walk primarily on the third toe and have the callus debrided every couple of months. My PCP recommended orthotics. I mentioned that to the orthopedic doc. Orthotics have come a long way since I tried them last about ten years ago. Things were still too uncomfortable and I went back for an adjustment. The man didn't do what the doc suggested. He struck out on his own and I benefitted! He was able to make it possible for me to sit on my garden bench and do what I love to do without foot pain.

Now I'm waiting for the rest of my body to catch up! Bending and stretching muscles that haven't been in a long time has created more pain, but a small accident has forced me off my feet and in bed for a week - hopefully time for those muscles to heal and when I go back I will be more respectful to them and be grateful for small times of bending and stretching, being kind to myself and taking pain meds along with resting appropriately.

I found a great pair of sneakers with a wide toe box and able to hold my orthotics comfortably. If you are interested in the brand I'd be happy to contact you about it.
FeatherMe2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote