View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 06:53 PM
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default Hi Stacie

Sorry I took a bit of time. I have been very busy these days. I adopted a 3 day old kitten, now 13 days old. My yard needs work each day.
OK, about your surgery. I always tell people no matter what they are told to get at least two other opinions. Even if it requires out of pocket expenses.
You need to ask your surgeon some really important questions too. The first is, " What is the condition of the verterbre above and below the surgical site"
This is so you know your verterbre are strong enough to handle any plates and screws that may be used. There is something called the domino effect, and you don't want that to happen.
Surgery, depending on how many are fused, is usually only a day or two in the hospital. Many have soft colars for a few weeks. I started PT at 4 weeks out and did very well. I am fused C3-7 and it was my second fusion. I had the domino effect, and I did not ask my surgeon that question. I learned the hard way.
I had alot of pain the first few weeks. Had good enough medicaiton to get me through it. My pain was not in control the first day after the surgery. I had been on medication before the surgery and they didn't take that into consideration, that I had tolerance with morphine. Ask your doctor about pain medications, both after the surgery, and for when you get home.
Do you have help at home? Pre- prepared meals help. Lots of juice, soup and gentle stuff if you have anterior surgery. Your throat may be a bit sore.
There are also some great products from walgreens, a no rinse shampoo, and adult wash cloths for the first few days when you won't shower.
I also used an incline pillow, gel, that conformed to my neck. This helped me to sleep.
Please ask me any quesitons you can think of. I will try to get back to you sooner. I do wish you all the best in what ever choices you make. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
StacieC (06-29-2013)