View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 07:44 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Welcome to NeuroTalk:

It seems you are in a very difficult place right now.

Diabetes + heart attack history means statins for cholesterol.
Are you taking one of these drugs? With your complex situation, statins would be a "given". These drugs deplete CoQ-10...so you
would need to supplement that aggressively. (Qunol brand now is more absorbable and affordable, at Costco and WalMart.). 100mg of this new type or 300mg of the oil type daily.

Statins do cause nerve damage... but you probably will not be able to change them, if you are taking them now.

Obese people, often are very low in Vit D. So I would get that tested ASAP and if you are low, use D3 and not the RX D2 that doctors continue to give. (it doesn't work). D3 supplements are over the counter in most pharmacies, online, and even grocery stores now.
Also get your B12 checked. This can get low as Brian suggested if you use metformin. And it can get low from acid blocking drugs, or just "because".

Diabetics lose magnesium in the urine, so using a topical form or taking a quality supplement may be helpful. I really like the new Morton's Epsom lotion, and use it every day. It has lowered my high blood pressure, and helps with my foot when it swells.
It is available on Amazon and at your local WalMart in the first aid section. Apply a quarter's diameter once a day to the tops of your feet and up your ankles.

These are the Big Three things that many people get low on and that when low affect the sensory nerves.

There are other things for diabetics to use as well, but fixing these first often will do quite a bit in the beginning.

Losing 100 or so pounds so quickly, is difficult on your body. So do be careful, and make sure you are getting enough essential fatty acids. There is a condition nicknamed "slimmers paralysis", which happens when people lose weight too fast. This is a result of limiting fats in the diet, and Omega-3s are critical for the nerves. Make sure you are taking some Omega-3 supplements like fish oil, or krill oil daily. The EPA and DHA in fish oils, repair nerve membranes and the myelin of axons.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
clay_elder (06-29-2013), MelodyL (06-28-2013)