View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013, 09:46 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Caffeine

I have just noticed that caffeine may be helpful, and I don't own a coffee maker. I am prone to partial seizures due to stress. Tegretol XR stopped Grand Mal, to complex, and an electric stimulator stopped complex partial to simple partial or auras. I am unsure if coffee every day is the ticket or not? Usually every day I go to work I can expect seizures. This is why currently I only work two days a week. If I go to Starbucks before work I have just noticed that I can come home free of any difficulty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archibrain View Post
Against popular opinion, consuming caffeine (1-2 cups of coffee in a.m.) prevents most of my simple partial seizures. For me the seizures are the type that cause loss of speech and language comprehension which may last from 1 second to 10 seconds and often happen in clusters, while having full physical ability. I had 3 generalized seizures over 10 years ago and tegretol has prevented them ever since.

For the past 2 years these partials started and have gotten worse and have tried 3 different meds while with a well known epileptologist in Chicago. He believes that caffeine does help me to keep my brain in sync. In fact, he said that he has seen no evidence in his 30 years of treating that caffeine causes seizures. He may have been meaning for my specific type of episodes, but still, I was surprised. I was actually relieved.

For now, the caffeine helps me more than any of the other meds. I've even tested by going on and off coffee a week at a time and when starting back on the coffee, it definitely helped. I wanted to see if anyone else out there sees any improvement with caffeine with similar seizures. I'd appreciate any responses.
lathran is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote