View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 01:03 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse M View Post
I primarily thought that PN mainly just affected your hands and feet, not pinching your scalp or caused burning episodes on your back. ...Well -does it? I'd like to know that I'm not the only one feeling this stuff.
The Peripheral Nervous System refers to anything/everything beyond the brain & spinal chord, so in theory, anything goes. PN usually affects the hands & feet but there are quite a few people here for whom it affects much more, so no, you're not the only one.

Quote:
I'm also very alone about this condition. The only time I can talk about this appropriately is here -I don't want to be a downer for my girlfriend or family so I do my very best not mention my pains, even when I'm in a bad flare up.

I've heard of marriages breaking up over such things.
That's actually not a bad policy, and I think you're lucky to have figured it out early. We've had threads on this very topic on several forums here in the past. The concensus seems to be that, aside from support groups (e.g. here), painees have a few intimates who understand and in whom they can confide. These are our true friends.

Alienation is one of the stigmas of chronic illness.

As far as relationships breaking up, sadly it happens. I don't know any specific figures, or if/how time (# of years in relationship) plays into it.

Quote:
I think fear itself, has a lot to do with depression and emotion regarding PN. If I knew I was going to be alright after feeling some newer type of nagging pain (as it always does between flare ups) I would not be so stressed over it.
I really have to learn how to control my anxiety over these things. I wonder if any of you feel the same? As well as how you guys cope with it.
And you would be correct. The same applies to most any chronic condition/disease/illness. It is a life changing event, and it is also a process (journey); there are stages we all go through akin to the Kübler-Ross stages of grief.

So yes, we all feel it to some degree or other. The best way I know to cope with that aspect is knowledge; become informed and aware of what's happening to us. Knowledge is power.

Anxiety is worry. I don't believe in worry; it serves no purpose. Easier said than done, but again, knowledge can help. Learning about anxiety/worry is the key to understanding and control over it.
Quote:
“If a problem is fixable, if a situation is such that you can do something about it, then there is no need to worry. If it's not fixable, then there is no help in worrying. There is no benefit in worrying whatsoever.”
Dalai Lama XIV
Are the commercials/ads you're seeing online? If so, it's because you're looking up & reading about PN, etc. Google, Yahoo, et al track everything we do online, and target us for advertising relating to what we're looking at. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online...sing#Targeting

Most of those "treatments" are bunkum, but they eventually get brought up here, so you can search the NT archives for them. You can cut down on some of that by upping your browser security settings, and there are some free add-on apps that help cut down on more.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (07-02-2013), wishuloveb (07-09-2013)