View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 08:02 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Preparation for SCS - weight loss etc.

Hi everyone

Today I got to see the SCS surgeon and unlike my pain consultant he thinks it will help me a lot. He has some "new technology" to work with that he feels could improve my mobility and pain levels greatly.

The 'downside' is that it's going to be a long while before I get a trial as he wants me in peak condition mentally and weight wise. Normally the plan would be for me to be referred to him after completion of the pain management program, but having been referred to that already, I've been told I am getting one on one, which isn't the "official" pain management program. So, in my case he's making an exception and the SCS nurse is going to liaise with the pain management program physiotherapist that I see to determine when I'm ready.

What I'm here for really is for any advice anyone has on preparation, given I've got loads of time and need to lose as much weight as possible? I am not allowed to take exercise classes etc at the moment as I am learning "pacing" with the pain management program so at this stage I have to hold myself back on the physical side. Does anyone know of a "diet" (I use the term loosely, what I mean is guidance on weight loss) for those who can't use exercise to burn fat? I can't afford Weightwatchers and the likes so need to do it alone but having done WWs in the past the support from the group helped me stick to it. I'm quite nervous of doing it without that motivation. Of course the SCS will be motivation!

I'm in the UK and another interesting thing the surgeon said was that while the standard SCS doesn't address back pain, he has some "new technology" available to him that does. Does this hint to anyone what he might be talking about? I wish I'd asked him to go into that more, I was just in shock that he'd said yes after I'd been told no way by the pain clinic.

Thanks very much!
KathyUK is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (07-11-2013), Mark56 (07-03-2013), Rrae (07-03-2013)