View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 04:15 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyUK View Post

I made a comment about how I needed to control the pain better and she said something that I didn't expect - which was that if I focus on controlling pain I will not ever win, but if I focus on controlling my life, my pain will improve alongside it. She also said it won't ever go away, and regardless of how less frequent the flares will be, they still will come. Just not as often and not as bad, HOPEFULLY. Now not sure whether I go in for the Chinese proverb style of the first comment but it does make a bit more sense than I would normally give it credit for lol.
Hi Kathy! I am really happy to hear that things seem to be going well on this front and at least headed in the right direction.

I wanted to comment on the quoted part though. I can't tell you how many posts I have typed up saying exactly THIS about the pain. My life got so much better when I started to focus on getting the FUNCTION back so I could live my life and not on controlling the pain. I usually end up deleting and not posting though because when I read it back I always feel like I sound full of myself or something. But seriously...I was so bad that I was in a wheel chair and couldn't walk or stand at all. I got bounced around from one doc to the next and just kept getting worse until I switched docs and took control of things. I worked with the new doctor on the symptoms that were preventing me from functioning (dizziness, blurry vision, nausea, no sleep, poor balance, etc)...NOT on the pain. I took my life back and even though the pain is still really bad every day...now that I can DO things it's easier to focus on the other things in my life and the pain isn't my only focus.

So...as crazy at it sounds you should really try to follow this advice she gave you.

I am so happy that it seems like you are finally working with someone who really wants to help you and who LISTENS to you. This is all very positive...things will get better for you. Take care.
catra121 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Brambledog (07-03-2013), Vrae (07-03-2013)