View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013, 02:42 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleDDC View Post
Now I'm wondering about opiates. I told the doctor that I really didn't want to take opiates because I was afraid of what they'd do to my liver. He said they wouldn't affect it. I checked online and found something that said the liver damage is caused by the Tylenol in the opiate, not the synthesized opium. If you don't take a dosage too high on the Tylenol side you should be okay. Any thoughts on this?
Hi Dwight,

For PN, they're more likely to try other kinds of medications first, and that's not necessarily a bad idea -- amelioration of the pain is/should take precedence over what (kind of) medication gets the job done. The current anti-opioid/war on drugs environment/mentality also comes into play.

For PN pain, some of the non-opioid medications actually work better for some people (when they work at all) than opioids -- everyone is different.

IMO, the biggest problems with any medications for treating PN pain (whether opioid or non-opioid) is tolerance and physical dependence (which is not the same thing as addiction). Anti-seizure meds, antidepressants, and others can be as dependence-producing (and difficult to get off of) as opioid medications.

ALL medications have side effects and risks, so it's a good idea to check them out on your own as you discuss them with your doctor.

Here is an older thread on the topic: http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread161040.html
or you could google: medications for peripheral neuropathy for more information.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote