View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013, 09:05 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default zoloft for insomnia

Hello,

I went to my medical doctor this week to talk about my history with depression, anxiety and insomnia. I wrote up my own point of view about each of these issues.

For me, depression and anxiety are pretty much gone from me, but insomnia is still a problem.

I also talked about being periomenopausal -- with more symptoms like I got very itchy palms and a kind of flush or rash just before my last period.

My doctor figures that my serotonin is low and with the trauma from the car accident, and I had shoulder surgery in Dec. 2012 from a dislocated shoulder (bankart repair) plus my perio menopause -- has made my serotonin low.

Anyhow, for sleep, he suggested and prescribed a prescription of Zoloft and I was to take half a tablet a night for a week then increase it to a full tablet. I would keep on this for a month.

I knew about the side effects of loose stools and it might cause more anxiety for a little bit, but should go away.

I tried it for one night, but the loose stools where diarreah for me and I really got no better sleep. It helped me get to sleep, but I felt trippy -- drugged, and I don't like that feeling. These side effects felt like full effects.

So, I decided to try increaseing my intake of Gabba (500 mg) and L-theaning (200mg) to taking it at breakfast, lunch and dinner to help increase my seratonin. I've been doing this for 3 days now.

I am trying to be calm and relaxed. I go to acupunture once a week. That helps.

I am trying to be mindful and meditate and let go of stress and anxiety. It's hard when I don't sleep well.

The hard thing is -- my ability to do so much more has suddenly come back. My sense of humor and word play is back. My desire to write and ability to write more is back. I feel more or less like the old me, but a more gentle version.

I know several good days in a row is not a recovery. I do know that. It's important to keep stringing good days together and go forward as I can.

I am sure the car accident has changed my brain chemisty and my hormones are stressed too.

I don't think I should change my diet and try the Zoloft again, but I would do it if I thought it might help with sleep.

I won't see my OBGYN till July 16th. In the mean time, I will start working part time hours for summer school next week M-Thurs. 10-2.

I am looking forward to work and feel it will put some structure in my life.

I appreciate any words of advice or stories of Zoloft you have.

Sincerely,

pm

Symptoms I had: dizziness, light and sound sensitivity, fatigue, tinitis, occasional headaches and migraines,

Symptoms as of 5--2013: poor sleep, tinitis, some confusion /short term memory blanks, balance. The other symptoms are mostly gone, but flare up if I OVERdo something.

Therapy I had: vestibular

3 months in: I could drive more and for longer distances. I felt like a younger, happier version of myself and I feel so blessed to have this feeling.

9 months in and I am working full time. I do get tired, and some sound and light sensitivity from time to time, but mostly I am over most of my symptoms.
I pray every day and I m praying for your recovery.

Over a year in: I can multi task (limited) and have humor in my life. But when I am tired, I am very tired.
poetrymom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote