View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Ruby,

Yes, that infection causing the fistula is most likely related to the infected root canaled tooth. To help you understand this better.... once a tooth is infected there is no procedure that can cure the infection within the tooth. Root canal therapy does not "cure" the infection .... it just somewhat removes some of the diseased nerve tissue within the large visible canals. The bacteria that remains in the tooth continues to fester and spread beyond the tooth. So this infection has been brewing since the day the tooth became infected or on the day that the first root canal was done.

It is typical for a fistula (lump) to form above an upper tooth, below a lower tooth, on most root canaled teeth at some time or another. This fistula is the result of the infection spreading into the jaw bone, tunneling a path through the bone out through the gum tissue. Similar to a deep cystic pimple on your skin. This infection is deep into the bone and is spreading .... so it is not just in this visible lump.

This has most likely re occured because the dentist who removed the tooth may not have removed the periodontal ligament that held the tooth in the bone or debrided (scraped) the infection from the bone at the time of that surgery. So although the original source of the infection (the tooth) has been removed, the diseased bone and tissue was left behind.

This can be a serious infection. The treatment for this is surgical debridement accompanied by antibiotic therapy. It is best to see an oral surgeon for this procedure and certainly one that you have not seen yet. Do not have a general dentist treat this infection.

I would urge you to take care of this soon.

Please let us know how you're doing!
Bryanna

PS.... You did very well at explaining this and thanks for keeping it brief and sticking to the facts.... makes it a whole lot easier to read through and reply

QUOTE=Ruby12345;997621]I'll try and keep it brief

Root canal failed, referred to endodentist who redid it. On this day lump appeared above tooth and in a lot of pain. This never went away. Endodentist did not care, went to normal dentist who said it was healing. 6 months later pain worse and lump was now huge and leaking out some sort of pus. Begged dentist to extract and he eventually did reluctantly (and said he believed pain was in my head)

2 days later lump and pain were gone and i felt 100% better, had been fainting and vomiting but was now back to full health.

Well fast forward one year, was feeling ill the other day and then i noticed lump was back! (same area above the missing tooth space) and is leaking out pus.

Im reluctant to go back to dentist after him not believing me about pain and saying lump was probably something else like sinuses or saliva glands (did go to GP by the way and she said he was wrong). Now he will say i told you so and not help me. The thing is lump did go away 2 days after extraction having been there for 6 months so it must have been related to the infected tooth. Right?[/QUOTE]
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote