Thread: Calf cramping
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 11:19 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have some cramping, but not much. I've had the Small Fiber Neuropathy diagnosis since 2008. It effects about 98% of my body surface. I do have to get up every 1-1.5 hours a night and take a few steps or I will wake up with a solid rod 3-4" in diameter running from inside my hip and down the leg, shooting out the bottom of my foot. This rod feel likes a steady 100,000 volts of electricity and there is nothing you can do but lie there and scream your head off for 45 minutes or until the Methadone takes effect in 30 minutes if you are lucky.

My SFN is idiopathic, unknown cause. I am 51 now. I have no vitamin deficiencies nor has any intake of B12, lotions. or anything works except large doses of nerve blockers and pain killers.

I find that I have some cramping due to inactivity and atrophy of the muscles. With the years of heavy meds, I am losing some muscle mass and weakening. It is difficult but since I have much pain after walking only 50 yards (and this is on the meds) I cannot exercise and therefore pay for it somewhat in cramps and muscle pain. The only form of exercise I find somewhat capable of is swimming. The water helps support me without the contact like you get walking. But this is limited by the weather and seasons.

I hope some of the suggestions here are of a help to you. All I can say is keep trying anything (except woo woo medicine) and maybe something will work. But don't be down if you don't find anything soon or at all. Just try living the best you can with the best frame of mind you can and that's good enough.

I'm off my soapbox now. :-)
jsrail is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote