View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 11:56 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Always consult with your doctor when it comes to treatments, especially vitamins as they can be harmful if taken in excess. They are not a cure-all, nothing is.

I tried all kinds of things, B12 and D vitamins (works just like sugar-pills for me), other supplements, accupuncture, etc. My neuro doc said pain management was all there probably was for me and he was spot-on. I take 3600mg of Neurontin a day and Methadone. They are the only things that work for me, but I am probably one of the worst cases around. But these meds come with a cost, for me, partial bladder failure, low testosterone giving way to muscle atrophy and muscle/bone loss, dependence, etc., etc.

All I'm saying is there is nothing that is a cure all and I know of no cure for PN (though in some cases progression can be stopped if the cause is found). I work with the best Neuro center in the Southwest and these guys really know there stuff and are not afraid to tell you exactly like it is. I'm sure there are many that think meds are some evil thing, but I'll tell you something, they allow me to maintain a pain level of 5-6 everyday (on a 0-10 scale) which in turn allows me to enjoy each day with my young son watching him grow up. Of course, I cannot do everything with him, like ride a bike or swing a baseball bat, but what I can do, I enjoy so much more. I have many other neuro issues that effect my memory, balance, cognition, etc., so maybe I am not a usual case, but please just find what works the best (and accept it when not all the pain is gone) and adjust your lifestyle to match and just try and enjoy life as best you can. :-)
jsrail is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote